The Tempe Elementary School District encourages students to take pride in their attire as it relates to the school setting. Students should dress in a manner that, in addition to the following guidelines, takes into consideration the educational environment safety, health, and welfare of self and others. Students’ dress shall be neat, clean, and in good taste.
- Shoes must be worn at all times. Closed shoes are to be worn for any type of physical activity, such as physical education.
- Shirts and tops must have a sleeve.
- Shirts and tops must be long enough to cover the stomach when hands are raised over the head.
- Shorts, skirts, and dresses must be school appropriate length. Hi-Rise, Shortie, and Midi Shorts are not appropriate for the instructional classroom and our school learning environment.
- Extremely tight/small clothes, midriff-baring tops, mini-skirts, short shorts, and low-cut blouses are not permitted.
- Jewelry shall not be worn if it presents a safety hazard to self and/or others.
- Profane or defamatory writing on clothing or jewelry is not acceptable.
- No hats may be worn by male or female students in the classroom or in any building on campus, except for properly approved occupational safety headgear required for special classes. Students may wear hats outside for protection from the sun. Students may wear hats on specific school spirit days.
- Gang-related personalization is not permitted on hats, on items of clothing, or on one’s person.
- Obscene language or symbols, or symbols of drugs, sex, or alcohol on clothing are expressly prohibited.
On special days (i.e.; holidays, spirit days) the dress code may be modified when permitted by the administration. Students will be allowed to wear protective outdoor clothing. Please properly mark your child’s jacket, sweater, and lunch box with your child’s full name so that these items are easily identifiable. The Lost and Found area is located in the school cafe for lost articles.